Sunday, December 21, 2008

Finding Richie

My husband's brother had a birthday.

His brother Richie passed away 21 years ago, but this year he
weighed heavy on everyone's hearts. I went with my husband to
the cemetery which we hadn't been to in quite some time.
Once we arrived we couldn't find the headstone.

I called his mother to ask for some guidance in finding it but
then decided to walk up and down every isle until I could find
it for my husband who was visibly upset at forgetting. Those
headstones told so many stories while I walked among them, there
were mothers, fathers, husbands, wives and babies who had just
one day before God took them home.

When we finally found his headstone I felt no since of
accomplishment. It was marble with words. He wasn't there.

The good memories weren't there.

If we want to visit Richie, all we have to do is talk to his
parents or his brothers or his best friend. That's where we
should look, in people’s hearts.

We could move a thousand miles away and still visit Richie. The
part of our loved ones that we long for are much easier to find
than a headstone. I think we should visit those we loved often
with laughter, stories, and a shared love. I will tell my
children when they decide to visit me to just get together for
lunch or give each other a hug because that is where I will
always be.

Don't bother walking through the cemetery.

I won't be there.


~A MountainWings Original by Chandra Savage, Keller, TX~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home